Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday Afternoon Flat

OK, those of you who wonder about what it takes to ride 100 miles through the Palm Springs Desert, this is it.

There'll be pics, and tails of the grind.

Today wasn't my first ride, just the first one I'm going to tell you about.

I planned on a flat fast ride out east on the Aliso Creek Trail, out to Cook's Corner where the fire stopped recently, but the road bike's front tire was flat. How that happeden, I don't know because the last ride I took it on was a Saturday morning spinning class in the Leukemia/Lyphoma HQ.
How do you get a flat when the tire don't move??????

So I took the mountain bike up the Coast Hills.

Short and sweet, 1.5 hours, 18.76 miles. One hawk, lots of coyote scat, and of course, one of the benefits of riding in So Cal, lots nubile young ladies running for fresh air and sunshine...

Pics to follow.....(No, not of the ladies - no pervs allowed!)

7 comments:

CyberPastor said...

Yo LC,

You are riding for a great cause, I will let Dylan's mom know. She commented to me in an email about you having his name on your handlebars!!

CP

Ben said...

An under inflated tire may go flat due to slippage, leading to a stress tear at the valve stem base. Warning sign: canted valve stem.

Snake bite is another possibility with an under inflated tire which gets pinched twixt rim and bead.

There may have been a loose valve stem or penetrating object that went un noticed.

Three cheers for Fix-A-Flat!!!

Liberty Card said...

Thanks for the tips Ben.

Fix-A-Flat"? Is that a commercial product? If so I'm going to get me some of that!

Liberty Card said...

Thanks also, CP.

Having Dylan's name there reminds me to keep going. Little guys like him, don't get to quit when things get tough.

Next week, I'll be riding to the Top of The World. I'll be sucking wind from oxygen debt, hurting from the burn in my quads as I climb, and struggling to stay vertical as my ancient Trek rolls over and through the ruts on the trail.

It'll still be nothing compared to the pain and suffering disease brings to the afflicted.

Liberty Card said...

May his parents have strength. How hard it must to see him laying there with the tubes running into him.

Ben said...

Fix-A-Flat is one brand,there are others sold in convenience stores and parts stores. Some of them use lpg as a propellent, so its best not to smoke while working on treated tires.

If there is a small leak, they will inflate and seal the tire. They will also disclose the location of the puncture.

There are tires and tubes advertised as thorn proof. I have not tried them.

Liberty Card said...

I found a solution - lots of light, and a drill bit to open the hole big enough to see.

Long ride today, details to follow.